We are proud to partner with Mountain America Credit Union as our affinity partner, title sponsor and official ATM sponsor. Mountain America Credit Union offers onsite financial classes on various topics to members, graduating seniors, and Broncos of the Last Decade (BOLD), as well as offers valuable benefits to our alumni association members.
About Mountain America Credit Union
With more than 770,000 members and $8 billion in assets, Mountain America Credit Union assists members on the right path to help them identify and achieve their financial dreams. Mountain America provides consumers and businesses with a variety of convenient, flexible products and services, as well as sound, timely advise. Members enjoy access to secure, cutting-edge mobile banking technology, more than 90 branches across five states, thousands of shared-branching locations nationwide and more than 50,000 surcharge-free ATMs. Mountain America – safely guiding you forward along your financial journey. Learn more at macu.com.
Four Ways You Can Improve Your Finances
When contemplating your finances and how best to manage your money, there are many things to take into account. Every day, you’re forced to make the same decision, over and over—should I spend or save? Go out to lunch or pack my own? Pay my electric bill on time or take the late fee hit and pay it next week? Go out for date night or stay in and watch a movie? Buy those new running shoes or put the money into my savings account?
These all seem like small, inconsequential decisions—but they add up! What does it take to turn it around and start building wealth? Just one simple superpower — automation.
- Automate savings— It can be more difficult than it sounds to stay motivated to save. If building wealth is high on your list, then automating regular deposits into your savings accounts is a great first step. According to one study, we are exposed to between 4,000 and 10,000 advertisements every day. Each one pressuring you to spend your money. Enter automation to save the day! Look at your budget and decide what you can save from each paycheck. Set up an automatic transfer and—presto!—your savings grows without any extra effort.
- Automate investing—No one finances their retirement by solely investing in savings accounts, right? That’s why you must invest in other options, too. If you’re employer offers a 401(k), consider yourself lucky—saving for retirement couldn’t be easier. Don’t let anything stand in the way of living your retirement the way you want. Since relying on manual transfers can be risky, automate your contributions each month or each paycheck. You are less likely to redirect that money to another, possibly more frivolous, purchase.
- Automate bill paying—Building wealth is not just about socking money away. It’s also about not incurring unnecessary fees. How many times have you had the funds to pay your credit card bill but missed the calendar reminders until it was too late? Boom—another $35 late fee. Instead set up an automated payment to cover the minimum each month. If you want to pay more (which you know you should!), go in and amend it. At least you won’t be penalized for paying late!
- DON’T automate spending—Improving your finances includes being a good steward of your own money. Evaluate your purchases before you make them—is it something you need or something you want? With all those advertising messages being thrown your way, it’s hard to resist. Fight back by “un”-automating a few things: unsubscribe from retailer mailing lists, disable “one-click ordering” and don’t auto-save your credit card information online. Doing these things will, hopefully, make your shopping more purposeful and less impulsive.
If you’re interested in sitting down with a financial advisor to learn about using other superpowers to save money and build wealth, check out Mountain America Credit Union. We are here to guide you forward to a successful financial future.
Get your Boise State Alumni Visa Card today!
Open a new Boise State Alumni Visa® Rewards Credit Card and rewards options include cash back, event tickets and ID theft protection services.
Benefits of the Boise State Alumni Visa Rewards Credit Card
- Low rates2
- No balance transfer fees
- Multiple design options
- Surcharge-free access to more than 50,000 ATMs nationwide
- Percentage of every purchase benefits the Boise State Alumni Association
Get your card today!
Apply now for your Boise State Alumni Visa Rewards Credit Card, by visiting a branch or calling 1-800-748-4302. Mention promo code BSUVISA.
- Offer only valid for existing Mountain America and Boise State Alumni Association members. Cannot be combined with any other offers.
- Variable Annual Percentage Rate (APR). On approved credit. Actual card design may vary. Membership required—based on eligibility. See terms and conditions. Promo code: BSUVISA